Despite the fact that in the article´s title you can see ¨General settings¨, it is not going about the section of general options in Hotmail´s menu, but rather about basic yet useful settings you need to configure. The most important features from Hotmail´s general options, such as changing themes or using Hotmail offline, have been reviewed in the previous articles. Here, you will get to know how to change the message format, make a reading pane look different, or make use of your account´s categories. Have fun and configure your Hotmail general settings properly!
You will find a lot of useful settings in the ¨Layout¨section; one of the useful features is an ability to switch on some of the categories
Step 1. In the first place, go to your browser and copy this link into its address line: http://msn.com/. Hit the “Enter” button.
Step 2. On the MSN website, you will see a set of programs. Out of it, you should select Outlook.com.
Step 3. Now, you must be on the main page of Hotmail. Log in to Hotmail by using your email and password.
Step 4. Once you have done so, click on the “Settings” button, located in the right-upper corner.
Step 5. In the menu that has been opened, select “Options.”
Step 6. On the left side, you will see the menu of options. There, you should go to Mail > Layout. Now, you will configure most of the settings here.
Step 7. First of all, go to the page of “Categories.” Here, you are able to turn the categories on (the Outlook and the Personal ones, as you can see in the screenshot). You can enable a certain category either as just a folder (without an ability to use it for filtering), or as both. Or, after all, you can use it just for filtering – like a folder where the sorted emails will be moved. For that, place ticks in the respective fields. After you have done it, click on the “Save” button.
Step 8. Let’s continue with the Hotmail general settings, and now you should go to Mail > Layout > Message format. So, there are the following options:
- Always show Bcc. This is the “blind carbon copy” box, which is not displayed by default anymore. So, in order to switch it on, place a tick near it.
- Always show From. The same way, you do not see the “From” box when you compose a letter. Place a tick to enable.
- Compose messages in this format. You are able to compose your letters in HTML (by default), or switch to a simple text. The first is, however, much better.
Now, configure the font of your messages:
- Font type. You are able to choose out of more than 40 fonts (Calibri is by default). So, choose the one you like.
- Size. This is the size of letters.
- Bold, Italic, and Underline. The standard text features you can enable.
- The text color. You are free to change it from the black one.
Click on the “Save” button.
Step 9. Now, let’s set up the reading pane. Go to Mail > Layout > Reading pane. Here you get four settings:
- The place of the reading pane. Here, you can place the reading pane either on the right side (by default), or at the bottom, or hide it at all.
- Next action after moving/deleting. You can choose to open either the previous item or the next one.
- Writing messages in a new window or in the reading pane. By default, the reading pane is used. Yet, you may change it to a “new window.”
- What happens after your signing in. Here, you let the system choose what the letters you read after signing in, or you leave it for yourself.
Click on the “Save” button.
Indeed, these are not all the Hotmail general settings. Find out more in the next articles!